Steven Paul “Steve” Jobs (February 24, 1955 – October 5, 2011) was an American entrepreneur marketer and inventor, who was the co-founder, chairman, and CEO of Apple Inc. Through Apple, he is widely recognized as a charismatic pioneer of the personal computer revolution and for his influential career in the computer and consumer electronics fields, transforming “one industry after another, from computers and smartphones to music and movies”.Jobs also co-founded and served as chief executive of Pixar Animation Studios he became a member of the board of directors of The Walt Disney Company in 2006, when Disney acquired Pixar. Jobs was among the first to see the commercial potential of Xerox PARC’s mouse-driven graphical user interface, which led to the creation of the Apple Lisa and, one year later, the Macintosh. He also played a role in introducing the LaserWriter, one of the first widely available laser printers, to the market.
Jobs received a number of honors and public recognition for his influence in the technology and music industries. He has been referred to as ‘legendary’, a ‘futurist’ or simply ‘visionary’, and has been described as the ‘Father of the Digital Revolution’, ‘a master of innovation’, ‘the master evangelist of the digital age’ and a ‘design perfectionist’.
Being the legend that he was, Steve Jobs said some truly inspirational words to the world. These words have become mantras for his fans. We have carefully selected the most inspirational quotes for our readers. These quotes reflect the intellectual disposition of the ‘superstar of the digital revolution’.
- “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know where to find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle”.
- “What a computer is to me is the most remarkable tool that we have ever come up with. It’s the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds.”
- I end up not buying a lot of things, because I find them ridiculous.”
- “I think death is the most wonderful invention of life. It purges the system of these old models that are obsolete.”
- “People think focus means saying yes to the thing you’ve got to focus on. But that’s not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I’m actually as proud of the things we haven’t done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully”
- “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful – that’s what matters to me.”
- “My job is not to be easy on people. My job is to make them better.”
- “If you want to live your life in a creative way, as an artist, you have to not look back too much. You have to be willing to take whatever you’ve done and whoever you were and throw them away.”
- “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.”
- “My model for business is the Beatles. They were four guys who kept each other’s kind of negative tendencies in check. They balanced each other, and the total was greater than the sum of the parts. That’s how I see business: Great things in business are never done by one person. They’re done by a team of people.”
- “I would trade all my technology for an afternoon with Socrates.”
- “Let’s go invent tomorrow rather than worrying about what happened yesterday”.
- “Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything- all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure- these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason to not follow your heart”.
- “Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they really didn’t do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while”.
- “Quality is more important that quantity. One home run is better that two doubles”.
- “I am convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance”.
- “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works”.
- “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something. Your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. Because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart, even if it leads you off the well-worn path. And that will make all the difference”.
- “If I try my best and fail, well, I have tried my best”.
- Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma- which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
Finally, one of his most popular quotes:
- “Stay hungry. Stay Foolish”.